[8/24/17] 1. The most important tip when bartering is have something valuable to barter. And that means storing up bartering items before the SHTF. The best bartering items don’t cost much before the SHTF, are easy to store, and will be worth a lot after the SHTF. See my Stuff to Store for Bartering post. You don’t want to be in a disadvantaged position, before the bartering even begins, by having little of value to offer.
2. Know the value of your bartering items. Forget about what an item is worth before disaster strikes. What’s it worth now? Do not underestimate the value of your items. The marketplace has changed, and your bartering items are not easily obtainable, and would be expensive, if available.
3. Talk up the value of your offer. Mention the difficulty of obtaining the item, in the current situation. Talk up its usefulness over anything else your fellow barterer may have. And don’t let them talk down its value.
4. Know the value of the item that you want. Do you really need that item? What’s it worth to you, compared to what you already own? Do not overpay for an item, just because you want it.
5. Talk down the value of the item you are seeking. Do not let on that it is valuable. Express that you can do without it. Do not seem overly interested.
6. Once you start negotiations, walking away can seem like losing. And no one likes to lose. Don’t fall into the trap of paying too much because you didn’t want to walk away. Car salesmen know this fact: the more time you spend negotiating, the harder it is for you to walk away.
If just a handful of our 600,000 monthly readers donated one dollar, I could easily crush my modest yearly fundraising goal of $10,000 by January 31 2018. If you value the information on this site and have the means, please consider making a donation below. Your support will help us expand, keep ads off the site and buy out any remaining advertising contracts we have with vendors. No contribution is too small and will undoubtedly go towards the many expenses this site incurs. If would like to learn more about our mission, please visit our manifesto here. Thank you so much for your support, Thomas Dishaw Editor @ Gov't Slaves