New York prosecutors looking into Paz de la Huerta’s rape allegation against movie mogul Harvey Weinstein appear to have hit a wall despite receiving ample evidence to bring before a grand jury, the actress’s attorney said Thursday.
Carrie Goldberg, who has represented the actress for the past month, told CNN in an interview that the case has failed to move forward even though police investigators believe there is sufficient evidence to present to a grand jury and prosecutors have met with her client twice and subpoenaed hundreds of financial, phone and therapy records.
New York police investigators and prosecutors last met with de la Huerta in Paris earlier this month.
“It takes a huge emotional toll on a rape victim to have to rehash this,” Goldberg said. “My client has put so much into this and if the case just gets dropped … that’s a real problem.”
An NYPD source familiar with the investigation told CNN there is enough evidence in the case for the Manhattan District Attorney to present to a grand jury.
“Detectives are completely satisfied that they have enough for probable cause and yet (Manhattan District Attorney) Cy Vance’s office won’t do it and, for as long as they don’t do it, then the answer is, ‘No, we’re not going to do it,” Goldberg said of proceeding with the case before a grand jury.
The Manhattan District Attorney’s office said the investigation is still active but declined further comment.
Weinstein’s lawyer, Benjamin Brafman, also declined comment on Thursday.
Through a spokesman, Weinstein has repeatedly denied all allegations of non-consensual sex.
“There’s a paralysis in this case,” Goldberg said.