[8/20/17] Although some survival supplies can be pretty expensive, most of the things people will need after the SHTF are dirt cheap. For example, right now toilet paper only costs about 50 cents a roll. But once the store shelves are bare, most people will trade a lot for a single roll of toilet paper. And that’s just the beginning.
When you think about disaster preparedness, keep in mind that a lot of cheap stuff we take for granted in today’s world will be extremely valuable and desirable after SHTF. This is the stuff you want to stock up on now. Not only will you need it for yourself and your family, you could also use it for bartering.
Here are just 40 examples of cheap items you’ll want to stock up on while they’re still available. I’m sure there are plenty more, so if you think of any, be sure to leave a comment below or on our Facebook page. Now on to the list…
1. Toilet Paper is pretty self-explanatory, unless you are fond of leaves and what-not.
2. Hand Sanitizer will be very useful when water is in short supply and you need to keep your hands clean.
3. Soap is so cheap today that we tend to take it for granted. But when it’s gone, people will miss it badly. It is crucial to maintain cleanliness after the SHTF to keep diseases from spreading.
4. Lighters will be useful as well as an excellent barter item. Buy them in bulk and keep them on hand.
7. Kleenex or some tissues. You’ll continue to get colds or have allergy problems after the SHTF, and you don’t want snot everywhere or a raw nose.
8. Vitamins will help keep your immune system strong. Remember, most survival food isn’t very high in vitamins, and your body desperately needs vitamins to stay healthy. Especially Vitamin C.
10. Cigarettes may not be healthy, but after SHTF they are going to be in high demand. A single pack could be worth a great deal of supplies, and they actually have some survival uses.
11. Cheap Wine is easy to come by and will store forever. After fighting all day, a nice glass of wine will go a long way toward calming the nerves.
12. Bandages are only a few bucks for dozens of them. Buy lot so you can treat minor wounds without being stingy.
13. Ammunition is fairly inexpensive right now for certain kinds, so buy it while you still can. Folks who are looking for .22 will tell you the benefit of buying when it is plentiful and cheap.
14. Condiments like ketchup and mustard can sit on the shelves for a while and make an ordinary meal taste a lot better.