Cartier boss with $7.5bn fortune says prospect of the poor rising up ‘keeps him awake at night’

HNN–Back in 2015, Johann Rupert, the South-African multi-billionaire owner of luxury jewelry company Cartier revealed his greatest fear: robots replacing workers and the poor rising up to bring down the rich.1 Yes, you read that correctly.

He explained to a group of incredibly wealthy people at the Financial Times Business of Luxury Summit in Monaco that he was sure a social uprising was on the way and it was making it hard for him to sleep. You can actually watch his entire speech below. (Start around the 10:20 or 21:18 marks, if you just want to hear about this topic.)

He explained that after reading about changes in labor technology, as well as figures then showing the top 1 percent of the global population owned more wealth than the other 99 percent, that when the poor rose up, the middle classes wouldn’t want to buy luxury goods “for fear of exposing their wealth.”1 

“How is society going to cope with structural unemployment and the envy, hatred and the social warfare? We are destroying the middle classes at this stage and it will affect us. It’s unfair. So that’s what keeps me awake at night.”

Bloomberg has estimated that Rupert has amassed a fortune of around $7.5 billion from brands that include Cartier, Chloe and Vacheron Constantin.

He’s also made himself a target in his home country of Africa where people like Julius Malema, the leader of the Economic Freedom Fighters, see him as big part of the ongoing problem for the 99 percent.

5 Replies to “Cartier boss with $7.5bn fortune says prospect of the poor rising up ‘keeps him awake at night’

  1. Yup, another loonie with money, whom thinks that every one of us is envies him, somehow, about what, of not having an 300 f Yacht makes me wanna hunt you down, huh, what an pathetic creature.

    I dont give an rats ass about how rich you are, even how powerful you are, social stand means nothing to me (I have to correct this a bit, if I walk into an mans home, I would behave as an gentleman, where politeness is an virtue and should be followed, and so on aka not been an barbarian, I am one of those that keeps the door open for old lady’s etc)), I never Sir anyone, assh….. and specially not freaks like this one, probably awaits that I drop on my knees when He comes walking by, dont you, used to live in an part of society where sucking/liking each others asses/balls is the main object of every day activity, , and if you dont, I have an problem, right freak, something must have snapped in this creatures mind, probably due to inbreeding among the top of the scam chain, money makes them dumber and dumber, generation after generation, what an freak.
    I can eyeball you, anytime, freak, dont even think I dont have it, you will know me, the moment you encounter me, I am not like the rest, shit head.
    I am my self.
    What bugs me, is crony capitalism, the monetary scams, rapes and legalized plundering, done by the biggest Corps walking on this heap of rock, moron. thats why I care, and wars, wars ruined our family’s future entirely, wars, forced relocation, etc, thrown into poverty, that happened because of some few people eager for ever more power and cash, the same scums that runs us into ww3 as we speak, they, are still here, and sits on the top of the pyramid.
    Jump off then, mofo, if you want to survive.

    By the way, yeah, this creep should be afraid, the day comes when you hear the hammering, when the people starts to build gallows, if your breed of rats dont change the game now, you will hang along with the rest.
    It can happen anytime now, we just need the fire inside to awake.
    WE have all the reasons for been pissed, never ever forget that, freaks.

    peace

  2. It may be a long shot, but, I’d venture to say he has a legitimate concern as once the general population discovers how they have been manipulated over the past two hundred years into becoming good little “Consumers”, he will need to run for cover once the truth is revealed.

Join the conversation. Unlike most websites, we value your opinion. Leave your thoughts in the comments below.